link
link

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Approaching Humanity Article I: Birth of the book

In June 2011 I had completed Lies of the Fearless and was mostly done with Aspects of Love by this point I knew that Aspects of Love was going to be released in January 2012 and my then untitled essay book would be released later in 2012. I had already begun writing what would become my sixth book of poetry but I didn't want it out in 2012 since I had already planned two books in 2012.

My original plan was to release what was going to be called Notebook of the Mind II in late 2013 for two reasons: 1. The last time I put a year plus gap inbetween poetry books the result was Awakening with the Sea my best selling and most well received book to date. 2. I wanted the release of Notebook of the Mind II to coincide with the five year anniversary of my first book Notebook of the Mind: The Prelude. Like my first book I had poems I had written over the years and was still writing that were left unused, they weren't bad poems just didn't fit the themes of my previously released books. Between June 2011 and January 2012 I slowly changed my plan of releasing another Notebook of the Mind

Late 2011 I announced the release of an anthology titled More than a Million Words which featured myself, Criss Jami, and four other authors who had previously not been in other books. Since I was the one releasing the book I had the opportunity to read their work months before the release of the book. Three words: I WAS JEALOUS, I knew Criss was beyond talented but I feared not only my poems being the weakest in the book, but my plans for poetry book 6 were also weak.

I didn't want to change my poems in the book because I personally was proud of what I wrote but my plans to release Notebook of the Mind II were scrapped.I looked through what poems I thought were the best and saw that each poem related to the humanity of us all. I decided to restart from scratch and began writing Our Own Mortality which later became known as Approaching Humanity

Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment