link
link

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Approaching Humanity Article II: The Quotes

One of the many things that makes Approaching Humanity stand out from my other poetry books is this go around I have placed 15 quotes throughout the book that revolve around the theme and a few a specific to select poems. The two reasons I chose to do this: Batman Begins and my first writing affiliate Criss Jami.
In the early stages of the book, I was uncertain what the main theme of the book would be. One night FX was playing Batman Begins and when Bruce's dad comes to the rescue he looks at him and says "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up" At that point I literally went "THAT'S IT! THAT'S THE MAIN THEME TO POETRY BOOK 6" because I did not have a definite title at the time. I only had 10 poems written but I knew somewhere in the book the quote from Thomas Wayne would be there. Two reasons: one, it was the thing that made me decide my main theme and two, how awesome would it be to have the father of BATMAN in my next poetry book.
The other reason I chose to put quotes in there is none other than Criss Jami himself, if you don't own any of his books GO BUY VENUS IN ARMS it is incredible. Also With each poem in both of his books he concludes the poems with a quote. So between Criss Jami and Thomas Wayne something in my head said "put some quotes in the humanity book" Around March or April when I announced the title I told Criss I was sort of copying him, unlike Criss I'm only putting a handful of quotes in the book and mine come before the poem instead of after.
Criss told me websites to look up quotes and since some of the quotes are from Criss himself I also asked if he could supply a quote for my greatest work, not only did he say yes but his quote comes before "Remission" one of the greatest poems I have EVER written.
The final form of Approaching Humanity wil feature fifteen quotes scattered throughout the book I have quoted Criss, comic book characters, authors, musicians, and philosophers. I chose to limit the quotes because I feel in the case of this book that less is more so I stuck with fifteen.

Here are the people/characters/bands I'm quoting for the book they are listed accordingly to their appearance in the book

  1. Haley Johnson
  2. Dale Carnegie
  3. Theodor Adorno
  4. T.S. Eliot
  5. Henry Miller
  6. Reinhold Niebuhr
  7. Disturbed (line from 1st verse of "Down with the Sickness")
  8. Thomas Wayne (line from movie Batman Begins)
  9. Vision (line from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)
  10. dc Talk (chorus from "What if I Stumble")
  11. Criss Jami
  12. Henry Ford
  13. Gandhi
  14. Robert Kiyosaki
  15. Manafest (chorus from "Human")
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment