link
link

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Flame of Change (Short Story)

This is a short story from Veering Straight Ahead this story was originally a poem I wrote for my poetry book Awakening with the Sea with this poem being a narrative poem it was an easy transition from poem to short story.


Everyone goes through change, some for the better, some for the worst. Despite how I am now, I had to endure hell to see the sunshine. I lost everything and nearly killed myself, but someone saved me and now I can tell my story to you.

            I didn’t have a luxurious life, but I had a beautiful wife and an incredible son. I had a job that made sure the wife and son were happy. But all of this changed, on a regular afternoon heading home from a hard days work, I smelled smoke. My dad and uncle were both firefighters so I knew something had caught fire. As I got closer to my home I faced the insufferable, the fire was my house. Not only was my house on fire, my wife and son were trapped inside. By the time I had gotten home, the second floor had already collapsed. This made it impossible for my family to escape. A firefighter came out of my house, covered in soot, with a body in his arms. It was my son, I had arrived too late and the fire had become too much for him and took his life.

            Shortly after I got there, an ambulance arrived ready to take my family to the hospital. Another firefighter came out with my wife, she was alive, but barely. They put her on the stretcher and signaled for the driver to head to the hospital. I asked what the cause of this was but the damage was so severe that they were unable to tell at that given moment. I shook the hands of the firefighters and headed to the hospital.

            I finally arrived at the hospital to see how my wife was doing, I went to the front desk to ask. A doctor came to the clerical at the same time, he was there to tell her to tell the bad news. On the way to the hospital, my wife of eight years passed away due to the damage her body took from the fire. I choked up trying to hide my emotions but my breakdown was inevitable. I got to the door and fell to my knees bawling. In a few hours time, I lost both my high school sweetheart and my only child to a fire that was caused by unforeseen circumstances. I took a cab to my brother’s house, and cried myself to sleep that night. I didn’t go to work for the remainder of the week, I was too distraught over the deaths of my family. I was able to keep myself together for both funerals, but after that my life starting taking a downward slope.

            The cause of my depression bounced between blaming myself for their deaths, and wishing I had also died in the fire. The depression took its toll on me. I usually had a drink or two when I went out, but after their deaths, I was drinking a liter a night. The first two weeks the alcohol was able to drown out my pain. The liquor was even able to keep me from thinking about the fire that killed my family. However, this painkiller was only temporary, my so-called “painkiller” turned itself into a “pain enhancer” in no time. I went from being able to block out the memories to being unable to sleep, only thinking of the fire that took my wife and child. I became unable to function at work, unable to go without my new vice and poison. I eventually got to the point that I couldn’t function as a person.

            I was fed up, depressed, and ready to die. My wife was dead, my only son was dead, I blamed myself for their deaths, and the alcohol that was once blocking my pain, made the pain far too real for me to handle. I decided I would make the decision when I get to see them again, not God. I took the bottle and walked to the bridge on the outskirts of town. This bridge was over the old train tracks, and was high enough that my chance of survival was unlikely. I finished the bottle, threw it over the bridge, and looked up to the sky. With one final cry I yelled “I will see both of you again.” I was ready to make my final decision in this world when a man stopped me from my fate.

            The man was leaving the church not too far away from the bridge. He looked at me, and said, “Why would you choose this horrific ending?”
“I lost my wife and only child to a fire, the alcohol is only making the pain worse and I’m ready to see them again.”

            “Son, this is no way to see your family again, in fact, this will verify you will never see them again.”

            “Life without them is too hard.” I said, “You don’t know how many times I wished I was in that fire with them.”

            “You need to rise above your demons,” he said “and be happy that your family is in a better place.”

            His words hit me like a pendulum and I realized I was heading in a downward slope. I stepped over to the right side of the bridge and he took me to his church. He and the minister had a prayer to help me get myself back on the right path. The minister got the church to hold a fundraiser to help me afford rehab to overcome my addiction. I told the congregation my story and the church raised the money in one week. I went to rehab and I have never succumbed to relapse.

Five Years Later

            I went to a local restaurant with some friends to celebrate five years sobriety before heading to the Wednesday night church service. I was having a good time eating delicious food with people that helped save me from myself. At Church, the congregation held a celebration for me and my growth. Afterward, I had another life changing moment that I couldn’t believe was happening before my eyes.

            I was walking home across the bridge where I almost took my life and saw a woman about my age on the same ledge I was five years earlier. The man that stopped me became my best friend so I knew that helping her was the only option.

            “Ms, you need to get on this side of the bridge.” I said to the crying woman

            “Never!” she said “I’ve been wallowing in misery for far too long and I’m ready to see my husband and my daughter”

            “This isn’t the way to your family” I told her, “You are only making it certain you will never see them again”

            “I will see them again and I’m making it sooner than God wants it to be” she cried “I tried to go on after the fire killed my family.” I couldn’t believe the words she just said to me. “I turned to the bottle but it was only a temporary painkiller, I only wished that I died in that fire too.” This moment was far too unreal to me to believe.

            “You need to rise above your demons” I said to her “You need to be happy your family is in a better place.”

            Just how those words hit me five years earlier, I was able to use the exact same words to stop her from jumping off the same bridge I nearly had. I did the same thing my now best friend did for me, I took her to the church I now attend and told the minister everything and how eerie it was that someone else faced the exact same situation I did. We had a prayer and this time around I decided to pay the bill to take her to rehab. 

Another three years

            Over the past three years I saw her recover from alcoholism, and become a new person. I fell in love with her. We started to spend a lot of time together over the past year, and I was ready to give her a ring. I’ve only been dating her for a year, but our pasts were too alike and our personalities were connecting. Three years to the day I saved her life, I asked her to marry me.

            She cried for nearly two hours before actually saying yes. We both knew that we had to get married at the church we both started going to after turning our lives around. The man that saved my life became my best friend, and for the wedding was my best man. The preacher that helped me go to rehab wed us, and helped both of us start a new chapter in our lives together. We moved into a house with a view of the bridge. The house was a way for us to view our deepest low and how we both overcame the odds and found each other.

            After a year of marriage, she told me she was expecting. Even though I lost my son and she lost her daughter, we both wanted to have a child in our life together. We decided to wait until she had the baby, instead of finding out if it was a boy or girl then. Our lives showed us that when your life goes up in flames, there is always something to look forward to after the smoke clears.
 
 
 
I'm on facebook and twitter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment